Shaavige paayasa or vermicelli kheer is a very famous dessert of Karnataka.. It can be easily made for neivedya, as part of habbada aduge and also when sudden guests come home..
My mother keeps preparing this easy and yummy dessert or alternatively with gasagase paayasa for simple occasions or simple poojas especially Devi poojas like for Varamahalakshmi, Shraavana maasa poojas or Gowri festival.
Shavige or vermicelli thick variety like Bambino or Mtr — 1/2 cup
Milk – 1 cup
Water – 1 cup
Sugar – 1/2 cup or 3 spoons more
Cardamom – 2 powdered
Raisins,badam, cashews fried in 1 spoon ghee
Badam powder – 2 tea spoons, optional
- Fry dry fruits in one spoon ghee and keep aside.
- Fry shavige in another spoon ghee for 3 minutes till it slightly changes it’s color.
- Cool and add sugar , water and close the lid until shavige gets cooked well.. Keep stirring in between , now add milk and cook for 3 mins, add badam powder and finally add fried dry fruits and cardamom powder.. cook for 1 more minute.. Serve hot or cold..
- Kheer thickens once it cools.. can add milk based on needed consistency..
- This payasa tastes equally good even without badam powder and dry fruits… But addition makes it taste rich.. Serve hot or cold…