In our Hindu culture, we worship Gods and Goddesses in various ways. For the generic Shodashopachara Puja ( Shodasha meaning 16, upachara means steps of worship) we generally require pooja materials.. These pooja materials not only brings positive energy, but also make the idols/ God images or photos look so beautiful, serene and adds to the bhakthi or devotion. Usually for any festivals or vrathas or generic poojas we tend to forget these, so I thought would provide a check-list for the same. General materials needed for any puja/Pooja Saamaanu ( called MangaLa Dravya items in kannada:: ಮಂಗಳ ದ್ರವ್ಯಗಳು )
- Arishina Or Turmeric powder
- Mantrakshate or simply akshate –> Could be yellow or red
- ADike (Betel areca Nuts) –> Battalu adike (whole nuts) or Chooru adike(areca nuts cut into parts)
- Veelyadele ( Betel Leaves)
- Chandra –> Saffron powder
- Cotton wicks called Hoobatti for lighting lamp or deepa and Gejje vastra ( Cotton decorative items)
- Gandha or chandana –> This comes in the form of tablets or powder or could be rubbed using water using SaaNe Kallu ( small sandal board)
- SaaNe Kallu and sandal stick
- Sunna or lime
- Agarabatti or gandhada kaddi
- 5 Coconuts
- 5 types of fruits like moosambi/orange, bananas, grapes, chikku or sapota, apples.
- 5 types of flowers like shavantige, mallige, gulabi, kamala, jaaji, rose etc.
- Hoovina Haara or flower garlands made out of mallige(Jasmine), shavantige(chrysanthemum) or Kanakaambara ( Crossandra ) etc.
- TuLasi Haara
- 5 types of PatregaLu ( Needed for Ganesha chaturthi festival) like tuLasi, Maruga, Davana, Garike etc.
- PanchaPaatre, UddharaNe( Spoon) , Arghya paatre
- For Panchaamrutha :: Milk, Honey, Sugar, Ghee, Curds..
Note :: The above check list is the most basic list which holds good for festivals or vrathas, to this there could be additions in case of Marriages, Seemantha, NamakaraNa, Gruha Pravesha, etc..