Ambode is one of the traditional deep-fried snacks prepared in homes of karnataka.. It is also known as ‘ambade’ sometimes called in a fondly slang by the people.. 🙂 It looks somewhat similar to ‘patties’, but it is not shallow-fried.
Ambode’s most important variation is known as ‘Masala Vade’ or ‘Masala Ambode’.
During the festival days or Vrathas or marriage functions of brahmaNa sampradaya (or vrathas Like Varamahalakshmi, Swarna Gowri, Ganesha habba etc) we do not add Onions or garlic ( garlic I do not use during other days as well ) and it is prepared as one of the festival food items ( Or habbada Oota ) and will be usually in the menu. When bonda or bajji is not there, it is sure that ‘ambode’ must be there in the menu list !!! 🙂
Ambode can also be an awesome evening snack with hot coffee/ tea or even can be sent as side items along with tiffin-box. My grandmom makes the awesomest ambode and traditional snacks and this is her recipe.
Traditional Ambode recipe::
Ingredients Needed :
Kadale bele or channa dal or Bengal gram- 1 cup
Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
Coriander leaves chopped – 1/4 cup
Curry leaves – small spring ( not much bcoz it changes the flavour a little)
Green chillies – 5 to 6
Byadige Red chillies – 1 or 2
Jeera – 1 tspn
Ginger – 1 inch piece chopped finely
Table salt – 1.5 spoons or crystal salt
asafoetida or ingu in kannada – 1 pinch
Refined oil – for deep frying or 3/4th of a pan.
 Soak Bengal gram in water for 3 to 4 hours..
 Now in the mixer jar, add Bengal gram, coconut grated, green chillies, red chillies, coriander leaves, curry leaves, asafoetida, ginger and grind to a coarse paste ( NOT fine paste .. It looks and tastes awesome if the chillies, coriander, curry leaves if not fine ground and coarsely pasted!) .
 Take this ground mixture in a mixing bowl, add Jeera, mix well. There are 2 ways of adding salt here.. If crystal salt is used take 2 tspns and grind along with other ingredients in step 2 else while mixing in mixing bowl use table salt, but this must be done properly… Keep this bowl aside.
 Now keep a pan containing oil for deep frying. Make small rounds and pat it into patties and deep fry when oil is readily hot.. be careful while frying and drop gently.. We can drop atleast 7 to 8 ambodes at a time in a medium sized pan.
Variation for Masala Ambode and other useful tips ::-
- Same steps as above except in Step 3 while mixing Jeera, mixing 1 big or 2 small chopped onions, and in step 2 coarsely grinding Pudina, Cinnamon ( Chakke ) about 1 inch piece.
- We can also add 1/4 cup rice flour if accidentally it is not coarsely ground and becomes like a paste.
- We can add sabsige soppu or dill leaves ( 1/2 cup chopped) instead of pudina. If both are added, there will be a kind of over-shadowing of the both flavours and tastes. So we can add either of them.
- Onion ambodes are the best and delicious when compared to plain one..
- Serve with pudina chutney or Sauce or ketchup, kids will enjoy . 😀
Health tips related to the recipe:
Adding ginger and hing to the recipe helps in digestion, stomach disorders.